Singapore, 21 May 2013 – WeChat continues its momentum in the mobile social communications space with the announcement today that it has achieved a major milestone with 50 million registered user accounts. Designed for the international market, WeChat provides an innovative way for users to communicate with friends from all around the world. The rapid growth of WeChat is attributed to its strong adoption in emerging markets. WeChat has also dominated the charts as one of the most downloaded applications on iTunes, Google Play Store and the Windows App Store in a number of markets including Singapore, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico and The Philippines.
In the bid to expand its user base in Singapore, WeChat also recently launched a TVC that was aired on Chinese channels such as Channel 8, Channel U, VV drama and E-City. Starring Taiwan’s super-duo, Rainie Yang and Show Luo, the TVC reflected how WeChat is designed to be convenient even in the midst of one’s busyness.
WeChat and Weixin, a sister product designed for users in Mainland China, previously announced a milestone when registered user accounts surpassed 300 million on January 15 this year. At the end of March, the combined monthly active users of WeChat and Weixin reached 194.4 million, representing a year-on-year growth rate of 228.4%. Both WeChat and Weixin are fast becoming the mobile social application of choice worldwide and are redefining communication and interaction among users in their daily lives by offering a wide spectrum of features within the application.
Popular Features Users Love about WeChat
WeChat is free to install, use and download. Users can text each other, swap voice messages with a “Hold to Talk” feature, video chat, as well as share images, music, and videos. The social networking mobile application is now available on the following operating systems: iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry and Symbian. WeChat also comes with comprehensive privacy setting functions, which enable users to limit who they share their information with.
Key features that WeChat offer:
- Moments – Sharing photos, texts and URL links with trusted friends and contacts.
- Shake – Contact other people around the world by shaking your devices and start chatting.
- Look Around – Find people around to chat.
- Drift Bottle – Include a text or voice message in a bottle, throw it into the “sea” and wait to see who picks it up from anywhere in the world. A fun way to meet new people all around the world.
- Official Accounts – A feature that can be utilised by companies and merchants to build interactivity with their followers. Free SDK and API are available for “Official Accounts” owners and developers to develop applications on WeChat.
- Web WeChat – Chat with someone using a computer.